Whether you’re bringing in a new house plant for some Springtime vibes, or you’re getting outside to plant in the garden for some fresh air, you should be mindful of your plant choices if you have pets in the home.
 

Many pet owners don’t realize, but there are certain plants that can be toxic to your pet should they ingest them. Not to worry! There are still lovely, non-toxic plant choices that pose no risks to your pets.  

Let’s look at some of the more common unsafe choices for both cats and dogs:  

Cats:  

Azaleas  

Azaleas (and a similar sister plant, rhododendrons) are beautiful blooming shrubs that tend to be popular for ordaining gardens. They are often pink in color, but there are so many species of this plant that the color can vary. Depending on the species, they can be moderate to severely toxic to cats if ingested. Symptoms include gastrointestinal signs, increased heart rate, tremors, seizures, etc.  

Narcissus  

While this name might not sound familiar to you, daffodils may. Daffodils fall into the category of Narcissus plants. The bulbs of these plants are especially harmful if ingested by cats. Eating them can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain, and you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.  

Dieffenbachia  

 Dieffenbachia is more common as a houseplant, so keep that in mind if you are looking to add some indoor greenery to your home. If ingested by cats, this common houseplant can cause a burning sensation in the mouth, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing. It can quickly become very uncomfortable for your cat, so seek medical care if you notice these symptoms or suspect dieffenbachia ingestion. 

Dogs: 

Tomato Plants 

 If you have a green thumb for growing your own vegetable garden, this one is especially for you! Eating tomatoes can be dangerous for dogs, so you’ll want to be sure they don’t find the stash in your garden. If your dog eats tomatoes, you may start to see symptoms such as GI upset, weakness, confusion, or dilated pupils. Seek veterinary care immediately. 

Ivy 

Ivy is also commonly found in many gardens but can be dangerous if ingested by dogs. If your dog is prone to exploring the tastes of various leaves and plants, this may be something you’ll want to remove from your garden. Symptoms of ivy ingestion are vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, and abdominal pain.  

Baby’s Breath  

Baby’s breath is not only found in many gardens but is often used as filler in bouquets. It is not common knowledge, but baby’s breath can actually cause significant vomiting and diarrhea if ingested by dogs. Be mindful when receiving flowers as a gift, or should you choose to plant baby’s breath in your home garden.  

There are many other plants that can cause unfavorable symptoms or be harmful to our pets. For a more extensive list, ask your veterinarian who will have access to the most up to date information and resources. If you suspect your pet has ingested something harmful in your garden or house, contact Animal Poison Control here.